This recipe is a fun twist on the popular minty green shakes that are everywhere this time of the year. No need to wait in a long drive-thru line—this mint chocolate chip smoothie is refreshing and easy to make. A few sips and you’ll feel energized and ready to face the day.
More than just a sweet treat, this smoothie comes packed with beneficial nutrients. Ripe avocado may sound like a weird choice, but it creates a creamy consistency and is a great source of healthy fats, potassium, and fiber. Compared to other non-dairy milk options, soy milk is high in protein (about eight grams per cup), but if you have a soy allergy or prefer a different type of milk, you can add a tablespoon of chia or flax seeds for a protein boost.
One ingredient you don’t want to skip is the mint, which gives the shake its refreshing mint flavor. You can find fresh mint in the refrigerator of the produce section in most major grocers. If you do need a substitute, you can use a teaspoon of mint extract instead.
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 cup frozen spinach
- 1 cup ice
- ¾ cup soy milk (or milk of choice)
- 3 tablespoons semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon water (or more, if needed)
- 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
- 3 fresh mint leaves
- Garnish: Non-dairy whipped cream (or whipped topping of choice)
- In a blender, combine all ingredients and blend on high speed or until it reaches the desired consistency. Add more water or milk, if needed.
- Serve with a garnish of whipped cream, chocolate chips, and mint.